Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter + Margaritas = Runaway Bunny?

One year at Easter [I must have been in middle school], my dad had decided to relax out on the deck.  We'd already been to church, and we had stuffed ourselves with ham, deviled eggs, and my mom's potato salad [which used to be my Gran's...is mine now...and one day will be my daughter's].

Well, dad had made some margaritas and was sipping on one while sitting in the hot tub on our deck in the backyard, relaxing.  All of a sudden, a huge bunny rabbit hopped across the yard.  [Yes, you heard right - a bunny rabbit on Easter, no less.]

My dad rubbed his eyes, opened them, and yup, it was a still there - a huge bunny rabbit, white with grey fur.  [I'm tellin' you, you couldn't make this stuff up.]  Anyway, he yelled out for someone to come and see it.  [Yeah, if I were him, I'd want a witness, too]  So, one of my older sisters and I went out there to see what the fuss was all about.

My sister and I looked, rubbed our eyes, looked again, and started laughing.  It was huge, and it looked like it was someone's pet.  My sister and I decided to catch it and return it to it's owner.  [Do you realize how hard it is to catch a runaway bunny?...Not fun.]

Well, Runaway Bunny led us on a merry chase through bushes that left scratches all over us, but we did prevail.  Luckily, we'd been right about him being someone's pet - he was tame.  What we would've done if he hadn't been, I don't know. [We were caught up in the moment.]  Dad, I think, was just glad that it was real and not the aftereffects of too many margaritas.

My sister and I went house to house, put up signs, and did everything we could to find Runaway Bunny's owner.  No luck.  After about a month, it became clear that Runaway Bunny was my new pet.  He was huge, ate a lot, and was very tame.  Basically, he was a big "sweetie pie".  Did I mention he was huge?  When he stretched out while relaxing, he was about 2 feet long, or so, with long ears and soft fur.

So, that was the year the Easter Bunny left me Runaway Bunny.  He has a funny sense of humor - that Easter Bunny.  Strange though, Dad never did drink margaritas in the hot tub again [at least not on major holidays].  Could you imagine?  [Santa, turkeys, cupid, ghosts, goblins, etc.]

So, have a Happy Easter, and may the Easter Bunny show you his sense of humor, too!

Caroline

3 comments:

  1. I love family stories! I always thought if I had time, I would start a blog.

    I have some pretty funny stories about my grandfather and great-uncle back in the day ( also involve alcohol)

    Stop by my new blog, Bloggers Connect sometime and leave your link

    http://bloggersconnect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the runaway bunny story. Found you from MBC.

    Keep up the good writing. Best, Jillian
    http://isdisnormal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun story. Should be written and illustrated for a children's storybook!

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted. So keep it clean and be nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...