Saturday, December 10, 2011

Caroling with Grandma

It's that time of year again for the Footnotemaven's Blog Caroling. [Don't you just love her Blog Caroling Tag Banner?] Now, I usually take the serious route with my carol selection, but this year I chose a selection guaranteed to either annoy the everlovin' out of you, or will make you chuckle. [Which is kinda like me. ;) ]

When I looked this carol up, I wasn't aware of the story behind this family-oriented carol. Moreover, considering my Gran wasn't opposed to a few glasses of wine on special occasions, I thought this carol an appropriate selection for the Footnotemaven's Blog Caroling.

'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer' by Dr. Elmo. [Yes, that's his real name.]


 *RaisingGlass*
 Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!
Cheers! *Gulp*
~Caroline

 

5 comments:

  1. I put this in a post somewhere last yr. My grandma HATED this song. She swiped my 45 and threw it out. When I got older, I would call her she moved to AL) and sing it to her every year, when it was on the radio. I have a bad voice and she will be the first to tell me that. Anyhow in 2009, she complained to my Mom that had not called her yet, she was wondering if I was mad or something. I just had not heard it yet. Anyway, I called a few days later and she laughed and said "you and that damned song."

    That was the last year I was able to sing it to her, she died on Dec 31st, with most of the family around her. Now, I get sad when I hear it.

    Last year, I cried when I heard it on the radio and then called and sang to my Mom. She was not so pleased that it falls to her now. She called me an a$$ (were tight like that). Gram's sister called me a few days after and told me I could call and sing it to her. It seems even tough Gram hated the song, she liked that I called to sing to her. I miss her tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a funny song, but my mother hated it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always hated this song, but oddly enough, my grandma loved it! She is the one that told me about it originally. She just laughed and laughed every time she heard it. I miss both of grandmother so much; especially at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this song has been around for 30 years? Where have I been for I heard it for the very first time last December. It's a HOOT! Thanks for sharing the story behind what seems to be a fun holiday classic.

    I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have never heard it before, I know I live under a rock in the UK! Anyway, I have added it to my favourites so I can share with Mum when she is with me over Christmas, I suspect that she'll laugh at it!

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted. So keep it clean and be nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...